Monday, January 4, 2010

What Sort of Helicopter are You?



Last Sunday the local newspaper ran a big article about the trends of the last decade like Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Wii, staycations, etc. One item in particular amused us, though: helicopter parents.

The article defined helicopter parents as people who hover over their children and appear obsessed about the safety and achievement level of their offspring. I've seen parents like this, and so have you.

(Am I one? Sometimes. I hover at the county fair, because all the lights and smells and colors overstimulate me and I keep losing visual track of my kids. I visited a website about helicopters, and it said, "A helicopter is an assembly of forty thousand separate pieces, flying loosely in formation." That's about how I feel at the county fair.)

The Spouse and I discussed the matter, and we decided you can be a helicopter parent if you're the right kind. We think we're police-helicopter parents: "WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED. COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!"

Of course, there are nice helicopters like Harold: "Baahd wethah due, mind how you go."



We could forego aircraft altogether, though, and just tell our kids to buckle up and hang on.



Occasionally, during stressful moments of parenting, I'm tempted to roar off all by myself. (I actually do plenty of the roaring, but why do I never end up by myself?)



Whatever type of conveyance we represent as a parents, the Spouse and I have decided we can't do without Galatians 6:9. "And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Haha. When Ezra was born all the teachers from my school made me an advice booklet the first page was a picture of a helicopter with a big "X" through it. This was a cute post and I liked all the pictures. I hear you on the roaring--somehow no matter how loud the roar is the kids just don't run away : )

Anonymous said...

Remember, it takes fuel to keep hovering! :-) Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

This post came to mind yesterday when Amelia was running away from me toward the street while we were talking to our realtor on the sidewalk. I promptly interrupted by yelling my daughter's name and ended the said conversation.