Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book Confession

When I'm looking at a beautiful room in a magazine like Better Homes or Sunset or House Beautiful, I turn the magazine sideways and squint to read the book titles on the homeowner's shelves.

I hope someone else does this besides me.

It's fascinating, though, because sometimes on the shelf of some stranger in Atlanta is I book I've read and liked. I learn a little about them, too - like which art they prefer or where they like to travel. For some reason, it seems that fancy-home people read a lot of Penguin books (the publisher, not the bird).

NEWS FLASH! My house is never getting in a magazine, so no-one can snoop on my bookshelves without being here. Of course you're all welcome to visit, but today I'll save you the bother and submit a pictorial list of some of my favorites. As you can see, I don't read much fiction any more. To paraphrase my brother-in-law, I now find real life much more interesting.

Here are my books to read daily:



The next two photos are books I've kept around for years:




These, I read recently:



Some good titles not pictured are:
My Life in France by Julia Child (thank you, Beth T, for the loan)
The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin by H.W. Brands
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore
Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss

Eats, Shoots and Leaves is a scream. In fact, it may be the subject of a future post.

TTFN, as Tigger says.

1 comment:

NaomiG said...

Oh, I am SO glad I am not the only one. It's one of the most entertaining parts of magazine reading for me. I also like to peruse what movies they own and I look very close at pantry/kitchen pictures to see what tools/foods/beverages are on hand. I should clarify that I never do this when I am actually AT someone's house tho. :-)