Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Import Store

Since the boys and I are reading The Cricket in Times Square, by George Selden, we decided we should have a pet cricket. So last Saturday, we all went to Chinatown looking for one.

First, we had dim sum breakfast. We were - literally - the only people in this very large, opulently decorated restaurant. I use the word "opulent" advisedly. Some people would say it's garish, but they're probably not Chinese.

Breakfast cost us $15. I convinced R to eat a chicken foot by telling him he would get tons of mileage out of it at meeting the next day. He ate one, and got tons of mileage the next day.

After eating, we walked all over Chinatown to find a cricket cage and a cricket, but there were none. In fact, none of the funky Chinese gift shops were open! So, we crossed into Old Town and found an import store called The Monkey and the Rat. Every item in stock was 50% off.

We bought four items, for a whopping total of $24.50. This was the most successful morning I've had in a while, at least in the shopping and dining department.


This dragon is made of rope.


Coke-can airplane.


Silk!

5 comments:

Glenda Conner said...

If you want to take a field trip - every once in awhile you might find them in our basement!! Ü

Brooke said...

Very very cool! I love that you got R to eat the chicken foot and that he was able to get the promised mileage out of it : ) Great silk scarves.

Unknown said...

Ew, regarding the chicken foot. You can probably find crickets at the pet store, any one you pick will be a loyal pet since you saved it from being fed to something else. The cage might be a little harder to come by. I'm sure the spouse could fashion one.

NaomiG said...

I LOVE that R tried the chicken foot! That is great! The silk scarves, Oh! The silk scarves! Gorgeous! Outings like that are SO much fun! So nice to have kids old enough to appreciate them.

Anonymous said...

I especially like the pink scarf, since I ended up with it! Thank you so much. Maybe I am too old now to wear such a bright color?