Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fruit!



I've been busy dealing with cherries. Our four trees (two Rainier, one Bing and one pie) are feeding most of the European Starlings in the county. They start eating early in the morning. They carry half-eaten cherries all over the property. They make sinister noises while they eat, then all fly out of the trees at once with a big whirring wing-flapping noise. What the birds don't eat, our dog eats off the ground.

You can imagine how things go after a 90-pound Rhodesian Ridgeback spends an afternoon eating cherries. First, he walks into the house with a piece of mashed fruit lodged between his big foot-pads and tracks cherry juice through two rooms. Mistress of House follows him with a bucket of soapy water. Next, he naps, waking himself up occasionally with terrible dog gas. Mistress of House grosses out and sends dog back outside. Dog eats more cherries, scratches at back door until admitted to house, has more gas. Spouse, who usually finds dog gas mildly amusing, admits he's getting sick to his stomach.



I'm trying to get a few cherries for myself, using a stepladder. This gives me access to about one twentieth of the cherries on the trees. The cherries taste very nice. We leave for Michigan in a week; I'll try to post once more before then. Love to all.

4 comments:

Glenda Conner said...

Ugggh... I feel your pain completely. I do this all day long with ours.

When Ben and I first got married we had the most wonderful Rhodesian Ridgeback "Casey" she was great friends with your G'pa T. Maybe he would remember. Ü

Jenn said...

I am laughing so hard!! I'm sorry about this predicament, but just the way you wrote it had me rolling on the floor!! :) Way to find the humor in annoying things. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Henry, hope you will behave better for Emily!

Sjo said...

So funny! Though sorry to hear of the mess and annoyances!