Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hammerhead

At our little school, the turn of the year means Sea Creature time.  Every fourth grader must create a model fish, whale, porpoise, urchin, or whatever.  The finished product should be at least a foot long.

Happy Meal thought the teacher said a foot wide.  So, in the end, his hammerhead shark measured six feet, nine inches long.  The process involved chicken wire, paper mache', drop cloths, and two angelic parents.

"I can't meet you today," I told a friend over the phone.  "I have to do paper mache'."

"I'm curious.  Why are you doing the paper mache'?" she asked.

"I can't answer that question."

"Well, I hope you get a good grade!"


On the date due, all parents were invited into the classroom to view our (ahem - the) projects, and discreetly eye the work of others to make sure we hadn't been upstaged.


(I have a lot of cute photos of kids with their creatures, but hesitate to post them without parents' permission.)

 
 

These next two posed a direct challenge to our superiority, because they were edible.  The turtle (actually one of three in a turtle family) was made of Rice Krispy treat, and the whale/eel critter was cake.

 

Our main consolation was that the hammerhead, while maybe not the most elaborate display of the day, was by far the largest, and is in fact a top-tier predator.

6 comments:

klamb said...

I am thinking that other parents should get good grades too!

Great job Keips!

Unknown said...

I wondered what that thing was! I give you both an A+!!!

The Soares said...

That's awesome! Great job one and all! :) ~SJo

Unknown said...

Wow. That looks like a LOT of work. Great job, Keip team! It looks like a successful show by all at the school.

Anonymous said...

Very good job team Keip! I know a hammerhead when I see one! Used to see them off the Santa Monica pier.

A Jane

Brooke said...

That is a stinkin' LOT of paper mache! How many cups of flour and gallons of water did that puppy, er, shark, take???? Impressive. Something that size AND edible would have been unbeatable, for sure.