Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Legacy of a smiling man

Last week a friend e-mailed:  "I don't know if you heard yet, but this morning the Lord called Wally Klassen home."



Wally is the father of my friends, and I decided that it's amazing how God gives us special memories of individuals, so we can enjoy thinking about them as long as we want.  Wally had a cheerful smile, enough that the smile lines were etched on his face.  God gave him a sense of humor, which he used to good effect, and a faith in Jesus Christ, which he used to good effect.

I can give you an example of both.

Last December at the Bible conference in LA, I visited briefly with my friend Lisa and her brother Marcus, two of Wally's kids.  Me being me, I walked up to Marcus - not having seen him for years - and razzed him about something.  Then I felt bad.

"I'm sorry to give you a hard time!" I said.

"I don't care!  I have a dad who teased me my whole life. I can handle it!" replied Mark.  Lisa smiled as if she knew exactly what he meant.  Their dad poked loving fun at them all the time, keeping them laughing yet trimmed to size; they wouldn't have it any other way.

My second example happened a few years ago, when Wally was visiting our area and worshiped with us.  As a visitor, he was invited to preach the gospel on a Sunday evening, so he did.

He told the old, old story, how God loves us so much that he sent is only Son, Jesus, to die and take the penalty for our sins.  He told us how important it is to acknowledge that Jesus did everything necessary to make us right with God, and that there's no time like now to accept it.  I remember my boys sitting quietly (unusual) and listening because Wally became very solemn and said, "We don't know how much time we have."

That comment came back to me last week, when I heard how suddenly Wally went home.  I know his family will miss him so much, and each of them has their own memories that can turn over in their minds.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. 
Psalm 116:15

2 comments:

klamb said...

Nice tribute to a Godly man!
So sorry for the family.

Red Freckle said...

Wally was a giant among men - precious and loved by so many. But more than that, he had finished his life's work and that will forever impress me. The Lord had need of him. His children - our friends - live in the good of his shadow as they walk their path here on earth. What a man, and what a family that I am privileged to count as my friends.