Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Road trip

We just arrived home - yes, on Christmas day - from a road trip to Los Angeles.  This photo was taken as we approached the California border, descending the Siskiyou mountains.


(Actually, I returned before the rest of the family.  Yesterday morning, with a day left in LA, I woke up sick.  Immediately, Total Package got online and booked me a flight home.  A friend interrupted her Christmas eve festivities to collect me from the airport, and I stumbled into the house and collapsed in bed.  The rest of my family got home this morning, after driving all night.)

I need to back up this story, however, to the planning stages for this trip.  Our main objective in LA was to attend a Bible conference.  The side benefits of the conference are (1) learning about our wonderful Savior, (2) it's in LA in December -73 degrees!- and (3) visiting with great old friends for three days.

It's hard for Total Package to drive 1,000 miles without making the drive part of the fun.  He's been busy and tired, though, so planning the drive happened after bedtime, as he lay in bed with his newfangled laptop/tablet gadget.

"I want to suck all the fun out of the marrow of this trip."

I didn't know how to respond to that convoluted statement, so I just peered over at his screen.  He was looking at maps of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park.  More specifically, he was looking in the area of General Sherman.

Of course, it would be great to see General Sherman.  I noticed, however, several lines representing roads squiggling around General Sherman.  Road closed in winter, was written next to these squiggles.  My over-active imagination kicked in immediately:  Our car, buried in snow, and us inside, sharing our last pretzel.

"You really do want to suck the fun out of this trip," I said.

"I will not respond to your mockery."

The rest of the story will be posted later.  Right now,  I need to slide back down in bed and get over this flu.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. :( but I'm glad to hear you all made it home safely. We had such a nice time with you all!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Soares said...

Sorry to hear you got sick, glad you got to get home quickly. LOL, your thoughts on seeing the little roads,exactly what goes through my mind at the thought of that area in winter. :) ~ SJo