Monday, December 30, 2013

Road Trip 2

I can say, with a bit too much smug, self-righteous pride, that in the course of our marriage we have been through the McDonald's drive-thru twice.  The first time we got ice-cream cones.  The second time was on this road trip, for breakfast, in Medford, Oregon.


The drive-thru brings out a peculiar side of Total Package's personality.  He orders the meal in an efficient manner, no dawdling or confusion.

"That will be $17.95 at the first window," says the girl.

"See you soon!" chirps Total Package.  As we drive forward he glances sideways at me. "I know that drives you crazy, so I do it."

At the window, the girl slides open her glass door.  "Hi there!" says Total Package, as if she is an old girlfriend from college.

We drive away and he reverts back into serious driver mode.

 


We stopped several times to take advantage of excellent photo opportunities.

 


San Francisco
 
 
I imagined myself photographing scores of friends at the Bible conference, but I didn't take a single picture.  I was too busy talking to everybody.  (This will shock you, but it's not the first time I've forgotten to do something because I was too busy talking.)
 
We did sneak away to see my cousin's place in Seal Beach, and play on the sand with the kids.  The kids learned that if you take a Costco bag of goldfish crackers and toss them in the air one by one, every seagull in Los Angeles will fly around right above your head, fighting and catching the crackers in mid-air.
 
 
 
 
The next morning I woke up feverish, and my sweet, efficient Total Package stuck me right on a plane.  He left Los Angeles that night at 7pm, and arrived home at 10am.  They utilized, in the best Hemingway fashion, the Arby's drive-thru on the way.  I bet Total Package did not treat the cashier like his new best friend, though, because I wasn't there to laugh about it.  He was probably all business.
 
 





2 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow, Total Package--you just keep re-earning your name! The seagulls made me shudder. The beach made me feel at peace.

Unknown said...

I'm still impressed at the skills those seagulls had. The boys are quite creative in their photo poses and my kids seem to like to cheese out their grins and hang their arms forward like the nice respectable children they are.