Thursday, September 13, 2012

The defibrillator post

This is called the defibrillator post because we're all going to need a defibrillator, considering the way we ate this summer.

Of course the photos skew reality.  I didn't record all the 1% milk, carrot sticks and whole grain bread we consumed.  Calorie-dense food is more photogenic, what with all the undulating layers of meat, glistening melted cheese and technicolor hues manufactured in laboratories.

I'll start with the sweets:





Now for the savory.


Note to self: Never again make your child eat the whole gigantic corn dog because it cost ten dollars.  This is not an economic issue.

I have no regrets about this next food foray.  After visiting the Ann Arbor vicinity many times, I finally got to Zingerman's Deli.  The Spouse and I ordered our  favorite sandwiches - he a riff on the Ruben, and I a muffuletta.


The Spouse, looking for his corned beef to come.


The Spouse, scowling because I made him pause before eating so I could photograph the corned beef.


My muffuletta, with peach/jalapeno salad.


R, hot dog and giant pickle.
 
 
J's hot dog smothered in artisanal cheese.
 
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are."  Brillat-Savarin
(Ouch.)
 




4 comments:

Brooke said...

The look on his face in that second photo is awesome. And I hear ya on making them eat something we paid a lot of money for. I used to think that way ALL the time. Then I married Tadd and he explained that throwing away some money and saving in the health dept. is okay to do : )

NaomiG said...

Wow. That all looks AMAZING. The reason we eat healthy most of the time is so that we can fully enjoy the food we eat on junk food days--guilt free.

Unknown said...

Yum. That's pretty much all I have to say.

www.mywhitsend.org said...

Love Zingerman's food! Hate the price tag. Nice to see all of ya'll.