Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Keweenaw - Chicago (2 of 4)

The Spouse's great-grandfather was a copper miner on the Keweenaw peninsula. The area is dotted with old mine shafts and remnants of the mining industry.

Once during college, the Spouse got to descend one of the shafts with friend who was taking seismograph readings underground. You can still descend the Quincy shaft, but I said "no, thank you." There was enough great stuff to see on the surface.

Smelter, odd building, slag boat:







The soil is so full of iron that the roads look pink, and many of the village buildings are made of the local, red rock.





The red leaves had fallen, but the golds were still there.





2 comments:

Brooke said...

Now if that isn't fall, I don't know what is. Nice pictorial of the spouse in his natural habitat.

NaomiG said...

These pictures are SO great! Looks like an awesome trip. Those fall colors are amazing, and the picture of the spouse has got awesome focus! I think that one deserves to be printed, framed and put on your desk in a place of honor. :-)