Friday, October 15, 2010

Keweenaw - Chicago (1 of 4)



"I'm sorry I'm acting like a kid in a candy store," said the Spouse. We were driving around the Keweenaw peninsula - a wild, beautiful part of Michigan that juts northeast into Lake Superior. The Spouse went to college here, and for thirteen years he's been telling me about it. Last, week, he finally took me.

I told him I don't blame him. Who wouldn't want to go to school on a campus that looks like this?





This lift bridge connects the towns of Houghton and Hancock over the Keweenaw waterway, a portage canal that crossees the entire peninsula. Trains no longer use the trestle underneath, but in winter it's open for snowmobiles (although people drive across the ice, anyway).



The structure on the hilltop is the Quincy mine shaft. More on the copper mines in a later post.





The Spouse has a back-in-the-day story about a college buddy driving his car over the jetty to this lighthouse. That story, and a few others he told me, made me conclude that you can attend and succeed at a challenging engineering university and still lack a shred of common sense. "Ha," said the Spouse.



More to come.

2 comments:

The Respectable Redneck said...

What a gorgeous area. I love the colorful fall trees. I'm also a fan of that last picture.

Unknown said...

Glad you got to go to the ol' stomping grounds! Can't wait to see more.