Friday, April 16, 2010

I'll Never Be Hungry Again

I don't know a lot about Southern food except that what I've had of it is good, and that it does not, in any way, resemble the Mediterranean Diet or the Zone, or even the Atkins, considering that the cuisine includes grits and hush puppies, which are fried bits of dough that you can dip in butter if you want.



I visited the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area nine years ago with the Spouse and then again last month, and I can now vouch for several restaurants there (thank you, JPL). Click on the links; read the menus:

Bullocks (barbecue - don't miss this place)
Crook's Corner (I think I might've had hoppin' John there)
Foster's Market (Had lunch there, and chocolate cake)
The Angus Barn (I ate a huge plate of venison there)
Magnolia Grill (So. Good. Thank you, JPL.)



Now, the Waffle House...



...is not strictly a Southern place, but I have to mention it because we saw a lot of them in North Carolina, and I like their sign. I like signs which separate each letter in its own box. Also, I have to mention it because seeing it causes a strange reaction in the Spouse. He gets a wild look in his eye and screeches, "WELCOME TO TH' WAFFAHASS!" in a very loud voice.

He has hinted that he does this due to some experience in his past, and I am going to let him tell me about it when he's ready.

3 comments:

NaomiG said...

Oh, baby. I love this!! Someday Frank and I are going to travel the south via airplane and hit every restaurant on our list. Yes, we have a list of southern restaurants from one end of the country to the other that we want to visit. :-)

Unknown said...

Okay, I can totally picture the Spouse saying this and it has me sitting here chuckling.

Wendy said...

Yes ... I'd like to see the spouse do that. Lol