Saturday, March 14, 2015

Parenting Tip

...because I am so qualified to offer parenting tips.

Seriously, though, this is a good one. You'll thank me. This tip is called:

How to Prevent the Kids Eating all Your Chocolate

It's nice to have a piece of chocolate after lunch or supper. If I buy some, though, the boys discover and devour it. Not only does the chocolate disappear, but foil wrappers appear behind furniture, under beds, and in the dryer lint-trap. For some reason, finding a chocolate wrapper in the lint trap sends me into an emotional spiral.

The intent here isn't to deny our boys dessert; they eat something sweet almost daily, but unlimited access wasn't working. So one day I had a stroke of genius that, if put into words, would go something like this: I am the mother of two growing boys, necessity is the mother of invention, Milton Hershey is the inventor of the chocolate kiss,and there is a giant can of crushed tomatoes in my kitchen cupboard.

So here goes. Please don't tell.

Top shelf...




A whole Costco bag of Easter chocolates fits in there. Now the boys are perplexed, especially when they find kisses in their sack lunch and can't find the stash.

Of course I read the Total Package in, and granted him full access. "I think this is the most devious thing you've ever done," he said, admiringly.

(My plan is to come clean when the boys marry. As they pull away from the wedding reception in their getaway car, I'll stand in the street with a bullhorn. "THE CHOCOLATE WAS IN THE TOMATO CAN! HAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!")

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You ARE a genius! I think it will on husbands, too, right?

Anonymous said...

Love your thought process! A Jane

The Chatty Housewife said...

Ha ha ha! Love that last part. ;)

Brooke said...

You're a smart little gal :) You're sneaking kisses without them knowing now. Someday they'll be sneaking kisses without you knowing...just kidding :)

Unknown said...

Good idea! Glad Total Package is stealing kisses with you. :)