That is a weird title.
I did cook a meatloaf, day-before-yesterday, on a 90-degree afternoon in a house without AC. (That sentence contained three prepositional phrases, which is a little much.) It started with a trip to the library.
The Total Package was on a business trip and the boys didn't want to come to the library with me. They told me to get them all the Tintin and Garfield comic books I could find. So, I went to the library and got them several Beverly Cleary books and a few junior historical novels.
For myself, I found Doris Kearns Goodwin's The Bully Pulpit, about Teddy Roosevelt, William Howard Taft and the golden age of journalism. Also, I found a cookbook:
I started reading this during lunch. The book features several iconic American restaurants, but focuses on the staff meal - the supper chefs provide their cooks and servers before dinner service starts. Immediately, I found my holy grail meatloaf recipe.
My litmus test for meatloaf is that it contain all beef. I won't mess around shopping for ground pork or veal. All beef. This one has all beef. So, I cooked it for supper, despite the heat.
Supper was just a hurdle, though, because the real reason for making meatloaf is meatloaf sandwiches. My ideal meatloaf sandwich recipe has four ingredients: whole wheat bread, mayo, ketchup and leaf lettuce.
Lunch today:
Click here for the meatloaf recipe.
PS - The boys were disgusted with the Cleary books and historical novels, but Sharpshooter sat down and read them all.
.jpg)


3 comments:
Yum!
Oh how I love me some meatloaf AND Beverly Cleary. I've actually never used my leftover meatloaf for a sandwich, though. Perhaps I'll have to try.
Printed it. I'm going to have to try this for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. I haven't used meatloaf in a sandwich either, but I am looking forward to trying it.
Post a Comment