Lately I've been seeing things in print that strike me odd, so I photograph them.
I bet this newspaper caption was hard to write. I imagine the layout guy struggling for words to make that slab of brisket seem appealing. Unfortunately, the phrase "drippingly moist" only makes things worse.
Last month I was stuck, driving slowly, behind this gravel-laden dump truck. I say gravel laden because I followed the truck for a mile, and had plenty of time to look at his heaping load of gravel. I snapped this photo at a stop:
I know it's blurry, but the sign on the back says, "We are thinking of you. Our loads are covered." I bet the driver really was thinking of me: Well, my gigantic load of gravel is uncovered, but the silly woman behind me is holding her phone, probably taking a selfie, because, you know, she is fairly good looking, so she probably won't notice that my load is uncovered.
I photographed this sign in a bathroom. You see them everywhere: "Employees must wash hands..."
Check out the last item on the list.
I saw this sticker on a toilet tank at church, so I looked more closely:
Which occupant, exactly?
Recently a police officer visited Happy Meal's fourth-grade class. Happy Meal was sick that day, but later when I retrieved his homework I saw that the officer had given each child a bullying-themed coloring and activity book. The sheriff's office meant well, I know.
When I get our mail, I stand beside the back door and throw all junk, including carefully redacted credit-card offers and term-life insurance offers, into the recycle bin. Sometimes I take a second to read the main line of type on an item, respond out loud, then toss it.
"Yes, yes it is." Toss.
"Indeed I am. Thank you." Toss.
Speaking of getting the mail, we usually check the mailbox on the way home from school. The boys jump out, unlock the box, hand me the contents, then dash across the yard to the house while I drive into the driveway. This particular time, Happy Meal was overcome with delight, not only at the words on our junk mail, but the pictures.
That's just one of the reasons we call him Happy Meal.
P.S. - Spellcheck disliked the word drippingly.










4 comments:
I have been amused by that "to be removed by occupant" sticker too... :P ~ SJo
I especially love the photo of Happy Meal at the end. It's great!
"Happy Meal" looks delighted beyond words...
Did you remove the toilet sticker? Inquiring minds want to know...and did you wash your hands....
A Jane
Hahaha! All I could think was "Captain Obvious says..." on a lot of these. My favorite is the houseplants with the "do not eat" sign. Really. Love the pic of Happy Meal!
Post a Comment