Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Stick to Hit With


I inherited this shillelagh from my Grandpa Taylor.  The word is pronounced she-LAY-lee, which is, according to Wikipedia, an anglicized form of the Irish term sail eille.  I read somewhere that it means "a stick to hit with."

The shillelagh has become a symbol of Irishness.  (Purists would argue that mine is a touristy imitation.)  Real shillelaghs, according to one website I saw, were walking sticks with a handy knob at one end for whacking people of the opposite faction.

Opposing factions have also become a symbol of Irishness.

In fact, not too long after Grandpa's family left Belfast when he was nine, Northern Ireland's opposing factions boiled into a toxic stew.  Belfast became a clot of checkpoints and bomb-sniffers, tangled in razor wire.  Knowing Grandpa's strong tendency to stand his ground, he might not have survived to adulthood in that town.

Of course, the shillelagh reminds me of Grandpa's way.  Tough, funny, knotty and blunt.  He could be more blunt than most people, but he rarely used his own words.

He quoted Longfellow and Robert Burns, but mostly the Bible.  The Little Flock Hymnbook got lots of play, too.

Once, when I repeated some gossip in front of him, he said, Whatsoever things are of good report...think on these things.  (That's from Philippians 4.)  Fortunately I was mature enough to thank him.  As a younger person I would've just gone silent, mad.

Over a decade ago, when we got the call that my Grandpa Lamb died and my sister was crying in the driveway, Grandpa T hugged her and said:

Asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep
From which none ever wakes to weep;
A calm and undisturbed repose,
Where pow'rless is the last of foes.
(McKay)

He quoted this one often...it's the last line of "To a Louse," by Robert Burns (1786):

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion.

I have the shillelagh in my bedside drawer.  I have the blundering, foolish notion that if someone intrudes some night, I'll whack them with it.

4 comments:

The Respectable Redneck said...

I love it. . . we have our American version, a sawed off bat. Although I'm not sure why you would want to make it shorter, that just means you would have to be that much closer to the attacker.

NaomiG said...

I love it. What a great piece of your grandfather. I'm always amazed by a person who can not only memorize great quotes, but also pull them out of their head at appropriate times.

We have (I think, the arsenal is ever evolving) a very large knife and at least one handgun tucked away near our bed. In Wenatchee I had a Samurai Sword... I should get points for panache on that one. Now it's in the closet. :-)

Brooke said...

I think you could do some serious damage--and give your Spouse enough time to get in the fight or go call 911 : )

Unknown said...

We have some short bamboo sticks by our bed, I don't think they'd do much good. The knob on the end of the shillelagh looks like it could do some damage though!

Here is one of Grandpa's quotes that has stuck with me :
Boys flying kites haul in their white-winged birds,
You can't do that when you're flying words.