Monday, November 7, 2011
One more cup of coffee
I've struggled with this issue for a few years now. I don't like Stumptown coffee. Not the business, but their beverage. I'm not sure if it's the bean or the roast. Does this mean I'm old and unhip? Wait! I AM old and unhip.
I could be prejudiced. One of my first Stumptown experiences was at a local restaurant (they "proudly serve Stumptown"), where I ordered coffee with my sandwich because I like coffee with my sandwich, and the coffee was acrid and I got the bill and the coffee cost three dollars and fifty cents.
After that, I tasted their coffee a few more times and nope, no likee.
Then one morning I was in Old Town with a friend and she wanted coffee, so we ran the Burnside gauntlet and went to Stumptown - my first foray into the store itself. We stepped inside and I thought the whole tide of my thought might change, because to my delight I heard, "THE TOWN HAS NO NEED TO BE NERVOUS..."
They were playing Bob Dylan, really loud. Tombstone Blues.
I ordered a latte and asked for the bathroom key. I was given a life-sized duck decoy with a key attached to it, so I walked with my duck decoy through the whole crowd of thirty-year olds tapping on their Macs. My latte was ready when I returned. Yup. Ick.
"IS THERE A HOLE FOR ME TO GET SICK IN?"
I must say that the people working there were nice. Maybe I'm all messed up about coffee, after drinking it so many years. Maybe my taste buds are seared by all the French Roast.
"STOP ALL THIS WEEPING, SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE
YOU WILL NOT DIE, IT'S NOT POISON."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's possible that what you're tasting is the hipster vibe from the Stumptown scene. I feel like throwing up a little bit just thinking about it. :-)
Post a Comment