Friday, September 16, 2011

Blowtorch

Note before introducing subject: What is this ridiculous guilt feeling when I don't post for a while?  Where did that come from?
Introducing subject: If you ask for a kitchen blowtorch for your birthday...


...and they give you one, your Spouse can use it to make Creme' Brulee'.  Here is an important thing to learn about engineers.  They're more likely to make creme' brulee' than us writer types, because they care about things like Exact Amount of Egg, Precise Temperature and Time Elapsement.

("Elapsement" is NOT  a word; it was coined by me just for that sentence alone.)

But then, to show everyone it was worth it to buy you the torch, you can find a recipe like this, spend a day putting it all together...


...blowtorch all the mini marshmallows, and serve it to them for their birthday.


This cake tasted wonderful, but as usual I disregarded Precise Temperature and Time Elapsement (not a word) so it was a trifle dry. Yours won't be that way, I'm sure.

(And what is this guilt feeling when I post during school time?)

5 comments:

The Respectable Redneck said...

Right there with you on the quilt. In fact why am I commenting while my child is perched precariously on the stool she recently fell from and broke her arm. . . I gotta go.

Cake looks delish.

Brooke said...

Thank you for this post. Now I can buy T a blow torch for his birthday and ask him to make me creme brulee : ) Another writer type married to an engineer.
P.S. Found the "book" I wrote in 3rd grade that you illustrated. I am thinking of blogging it soon because the illos are just too cute not to be shared!

NaomiG said...

It's important to check guilt... is it self inflicted, and therefore should be examined, or is it inflicted because of what others might think, and therefore should be ignored?

I was just telling Garrett this morning that I desperately need a blowtorch for creme' brulee' and wood antiquing purposes. I'm definitely a writer type, but I'm OCD enough to pull off precise baking, most of the time.

"Elapsement" SHOULD be a word.

Unknown said...

Mmmm. It seems the boys enjoyed the cake. I think the Spouse might have had alterior motives so he could have an excuse to torch something in the house. :)

klamb said...

I will vouch for the good cake, but am going to leave the guilt thing alone. The torch has been a worthwhile implement!