Most places in the world have a distinctive regional cuisine or dish, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has the pasty. You pronounce it with a short "a". Pasties resemble calzone, except they don't usually contain cheese and the pastry can be flaky - not yeast dough. They usually contain meat & vegetables; rutabaga is popular.
Pasties are substantial and portable, which made them popular with the miners in the UP. Today, they're comfort food to many yoopers and ex-yoopers (if the term yooper is unfamiliar, think UP). I ate one, with lots of ketchup.
My favorite meal of the trip, however, was lunch at Frontera Grill in Chicago, right before we headed home.
We considered getting pizza, which would make lots of sense in Chicago, but have you ever sat four hours on a plane with a stomach full of deep-dish pizza?
Tamale:
Enchiladas:
I doubt I'm the only wife with a mental catalogue of good, relaxing meals eaten with my husband.
1 comment:
Nope. There are epic meals that we've enjoyed together that I have painted in the catalogues of my mind. Sometimes I pull them up and sigh over them when I'm having a bad day, or even just can't think of what to make for dinner. :-) That all looks so good! And, I've never heard of Pasties. Interesting... also, deep dish pizza normally sounds so gross to me, but I'd really love to try it in Chicago someday. Love these posts!
Post a Comment